AFTER OUT OF BAHIA ,JEFF BATTLING AUTOPILOT
Total miles sailed last three days=214 nm (242 miles)
Total miles sailed so far=1062 nm (1222 miles)
Total miles left to go=Aprox. 1100 nm.(1265.8 miles)
Top speed so far- 11 kts.
24 hr.Run=59 nm.
Pos. Lat.08*25’N Long. 91*25 W.
Weather= Wind SW 0-10 kts Seas 2-4 ft SW.
Bar=1005 mb Cabin Temp=87*.
David is closing the gap now just 80 miles as Sailors Run grinds to a halt in 0-winds. I come face to face with my Achilles heal that with out wind I must power and steer to keep the boat some what comfortable. The fuel being precious I run at a mere 1200 RPM sipping the fuel and doing about 3.5 kts. It is after about 1.5 hours there is once again enough wind approximately 4 kts and I’m able to turn it back over to the wind vane steering now going less than 2-kts but out of the windless squalls that were dumping mass amounts of water down upon us.
The sea life is truly animated today as several squid jet aboard and spinner dolphins put on quite a show shooting up out of the water doing flips, even a Manta-Ray about 5 ft. across tried it and cart wheeled back into the sea.
Although conditions are light the ride can only be described as a “velvet magic carpet ride”.
24 hr.Run=91 nm.
Pos. 09*25”N long.92*26’W.
Weather =5-10 kts. SW. Seas 4-6 ft.SW.
Bar=1005 mb. Cabin Temp=87*
Today David is just 65 miles behind and still narrowing the gap. The boats are actually 150 NM. apart making it risky, for either sailor to get into inferior conditions to his competitor, with David being 60 miles further out to the west.
I can only hope when the Gulf of Tehuantepec winds comes to life my inshore position will produce more wind for good speed to the north.[ I hope not to good of speed.]
It is at the 6-pm check in that I learn of another travesty happening to David on Eva Marie, it seems that where he placed his cell phone & Ipad was just perfect for a deck crystal that emits light below,& also emitted water that saturated both devices and destroyed them. David is taking it in stride and in no way does it hamper his ability to sail to Mazatlan, Mexico.
Sometimes I’m inclined to think we just have to much “shit”!
OH, well no worry out here soon nature will take all that high tech stuff away possibly getting ready for the next civilization, and lets just hope they all show up on one continent so they can all be indigenous, hopefully all the same color. Never have a government, or taxes,and the self pollinating viggens, no insurance’s, no attorneys and the only law is nature, and they don’t get the wise idea that they can control it. Oh yea lets pray they never discover “fire” or the “wheel”. “Just thinking you know”.
It was after our 6pm SSB conversation that I poked my head out to look about and was shocked to see a 175′ US Coast Guard Cutter setting off my port bow, about 200-yards distant. I was approaching at about 3kts and decided to take an aggressive approach and hailed them on VHF-16.
Surprisingly there was no response as I was 400 nm. off of Costa Rica and pretty sure these guys weren’t guarding our coast line or possibly had broken down off Point Loma,San Diego and were adrift. So I hailed them yet again and at last they come back asking if I needed assistance; I assured them I was just fine and en route from Ecuador to Mexico and having a slow but nice sail. They agreed and if nothing else was needed have a good trip and thanks for the info.
Well,it was obvious to me that they really didn’t want their position given away as they asked me not one question,like how many people onboard or anything. The thing suited me just fine an as darkness was coming, and they dropped south of me about 5-miles then followed along for several hours before disappearing.
I can say for sure they do not transmit their position on AIS, and are barely visible on radar after about 6-miles.
Pos. Lat.10*03′ Long.93*08′.
Weather=Wind 0-10 kts.NE Seas 6-8 ft SE.
Bar=1006 mb. Cabin Temp.=89*
This day is another light air day and it seems I’m possibly just a little further ahead of David today. The seas glassed off over night and I finally ran the motor for 1.5 hrs hoping to find air, that didn’t work out so shut the motor down and hove to under main and mizzen and stacked a few z’s. There was lightning about last night and the promises of wind from the Gulf of Tehuantepec where it is blowing 45 knots and seas to 23 feet.
The wind arrived about 7 am and was less than 10 kts but still helpful in propelling us along, and there is a 7-8 ft swell along with it from the NE.
Just sailing along trying to get to Mexico, the Jefe’.