Total miles sailed so far=13,238 NM.

Total miles sailed last three days=417 NM.

Miles left to go to Cape Leeuwin, Australia=975 NM.

Top speed so far=14.1 kts.
DAY 97  24hr Run=117 NM. Pos.Lat.46*17’S Long.80*15’E Weather=Wind=10-65 knots Bar=994 mb  Seas 18-40+ ft. Cabin temp=51*-53*

DAY 98 24hr.Run=158 NM Pos. Lat.46*55’S Long.83*35’E. Weather=Wind WSW 20-35kts squalls. Seas=15-20ft. 997 mbBar=Cabin Temp= 49*-53*.

Day-99 24hr.Run=142NM. Pos. Lat.46*35’S Long.86*24’E. Weather=Wind=SW-SE 12-20kts. Bar=1005mb Seas=8-20ft.W.


First let me say I never seen this one coming, as it just appeared to be another 30-35 kt day. In reality the 35 knots was just the beginning of a 48 hour battle of survival. Once I had set up the Staysail and mizzen I figured we were ready to handle what was to come our way “Wrong”!!

I became suspicious when I noticed the barometer plummeting down, and the waves were gradually growing larger and One of these waves catapulted Sailors Run ahead at 14.1 kts.

I knew the mizzen must come down, and once out on deck it was obvious the staysail also must be struck, and we would continue along under bare poles alone. It was while I was lashing the staysail on deck that a huge wave broke over the deck, as I hung on and was thoroughly drenched to the core by this one, and later required a complete change of clothing.

We sailed under bare poles for 16.5 hrs. and by this time we were seeing gusts to 65 kts, and sustained winds in the 50+kt range. The waves were becoming monstrous and the top 10 feet was breaking off and rolling down the face of some of these waves.
At one point during the day I looked out upon the sea and swore I was in the mountains, as it appeared that there was snow covered peaks everywhere, with avalanches plummeting down their steep faces.
We had been fairly successful in keeping our stern to the waves, but there are always a few rogue waves that will come in on your beam. One such wave took out one of our solar panels support struts, tearing the bracket from the cap rail.
It was while I was replacing that support that I looked up to see a huge wave break and its coke bottle blue frothing top come charging down upon me, and Sailors Run. I grabbed a life line post and a nearby shroud and just hung on to be drenched for the second time to the bone.

During the Storm Sailors Run was engulfed by more than a dozen large waves. One such wave took away our man overboard pole.  Another one came in over the stern not only filling the cockpit but forcing green water through the louvers on the companion way doors, then hit the two storm boards I had in place, and came up over the top like a waterfall cascading down into the galley and sloshing about 10-gallons of water, about the cabin sole, until I could get it bailed out. The waterfall also bathed our water proof radar unit that has now stopped working. This is yet another big loss.

It was 2:30pm when I deployed our Delta drogue on 400 feet of 5/8 inch nylon rode to slow the boat, as now we were surfing bare poles at over 9-knots. This slowed us to 3-4kts and made things feel more under control. We stayed on the drogue for 15 hrs. It was the next morning that I pulled in the line to find the drogue had failed and all three factory nylon straps that attached it to the swivel had parted and it was gone.
I actually believe I know when it happened; I was writing Debbie, when we were catapulted ahead by yet another huge wave and I saw the speed jump up to 9.1kts, and then noticed several other high speeds shortly thereafter. The total duration of the storm was about 48-hrs.

I truly hope not to encounter another storm like that one any time soon. Over the next few days I hope to get further north for better weather if that’s possible.


Today we are sailing through many squalls, hoping to get north. It is kind of a lick your wounds day, and I woke up with a sore gland in my neck, and felt chilled, so I started antibiotics as I cannot afford to be sick.I believe I have captured some great film and shots of the voyage, and do plan to produce a video, although not sure what to sell it for until I access the final damages to Sailors Run.

It’s amazing when you do battle with nature how fast she takes away your, electrical and mechanical advantages and it becomes you, and the boat, and your will to survive.

DAY 99

Today we are working through many squalls and making some progress to the north. We are still experiencing 20 ft waves as they refuse to lay down, and the squalls keep breathing life back into them. The really big waves took about 18-hrs to quit breaking and then started subsiding. It seemed amazing to me that running bare poles and towing a drogue we still managed to cover 117 NM.

The gland in my neck is still sore and I feel very sensitive to the cold. I’m pretty sure in a couple of days I will be fine

Getting a little more religious as we go, The Jefe’