Total miles sailed so far 11182 Nautical Miles
Miles sailed last three days 401 Nautical Miles
Miles to go to Cape Leeuwin, Australia 3,050 NM.
Top speed so far 12.3 knots
THE REST OF THE STORY:
24hr.Run 135 NM.
Position: 44*58 S. Longitude: 36*14’E.
Weather: Wind SW.12-35 knots
Cabin Temp: 53-57*.
Bar: 1006 millibars
Today was one of those days, where many sail changes had to be made and in the end we were under staysail alone in 35+knots
Wow!! 82-days Totally Alone, not another sole to lay eyes upon, this all seems pretty strange.
I’m definitely a prisoner of this voyage, and Thank God it is by my own doing.
I must admit the sunny days are my favorite as it is warmer and the Ocean that we are sailing upon looks so much more beautiful.
The radio is still not hooking up to Sailmail, and I just hope friends and family understand, things are fine aboard Sailors Run.
I search the radio for news but all I get is African news, and that is a whole new level of depressing info
24 hr.Run 138NM.
Position: Latitude 45*01’S. Longitude 39*16’E.
Weather: Wind 12-22kts SW-NW.
Cabin Temp: 49-55*
Bar: 998 millibars
It appears that I’m about 4-days from the half way point mileage wise.
I’m sailing as hard and fast as I can with the vulnerable Genoa sail, which I only fly all the way out in winds of less than 17 knots
The weather has not been very severe the last few days, “knock on wood”[my head].
The boat is going to need lots of TLC wants we make Bahia Caraquez, Ecuador.
Today we sailed over the top of Prince Edward Islands about 90-miles to the south of us; there are only two Islands there and they are quite small.
Position: Latitude 44*56’S. Longitude 42*07’E.
It seems I’m finding a rhythm with the Southern Ocean.
I had originally planned to sail across the Atlantic and Indian Oceans at 48*-latitude, but it seems to be more productive at 45*-latitude.
The winds and cold fronts seem less violent, and the temperature is about 10-degrees warmer.
Another system of when to add or reduce sail has evolved.
I now use the 30-minute rule when I think a sail change is needed, because if I don’t wait 50% of the time the choice is wrong. Of course if you are pounced upon by a huge squall there is no waiting to reduce the sail and take the load on the rig.
During this day I watched the barometer plummeted from 998 to 992 then rebound to 1004 mb, all within 24 hrs and all the winds became very strong when they switched from NW to SW, and once again we sailed along under staysail alone with winds gusting 40 knots for some 13-hrs.
Trying to get there your amigo, the Jefe’