Total miles sailed so far=7873 NM.
Miles sailed last 3-days=423NM.
Miles left to go to Cape of Good Hope=1910NM.
Top speed so far=12.2kts.


Position-Latitude 49*32’S Longitude 40*16W.
Weather: Wind=S at 10-20kts.
Seas: 6-8ft.
Cabin temp: 45-51*.
Bar: 995mb

This day finds us sailing along in the bright sunshine on a beam reach, and we have the fishing line out as the freezer is empty.
The temperature still seems very cool partially because the wind is out of the south.
I’m happy to report no new tears in the Genoa

24hr. Run: 155N
Position Latitude 48*46’S Longitude 3*13’W.
Weather: Wind=S 15-20kts.
Seas: 6-8ft
Cabin temp.46-49*
Bar: 1000mb

We have finally gotten back up to the 48* latitude and it seems about -5 degrees warmer making life much more comfortable aboard.
Now all we have to do is sail due east until we get within 400 miles of Chile and turn north for “Home”.  Well it sounds simple but most likely “not”.

I see another low pressure system just ahead of us, but hopefully we will miss the worst that it has to offer

24hr.Run: 151NM.
Position 48*22’S Longitude 30*36W.
Weather: Wind=0-40+kts. N+S
Seas: 8-15ft.N&S very confused seas.
Cabin Temp: 48*-50*.
Bar: 996mb

It seems truly amazing but today is the end of my second month at sea, and this month seems to have passed twice as fast as last month.

The first of our three propane tanks is empty. The replacement tank that has been tied on the rail seems light, like maybe only half full??? The third tank is full so we will see how this tank holds up.  “No Coffee” come on!!!

So far we have caught no water as it has either been foggy or a light drizzle and no good heavy rain. I might have to do a “Rain Dance”.

Just a tip on sailing in the Southern Ocean, don’t let these not so cold temperatures fool you, because when you are tying in reefs in 30-40kts.and it is foggy or drizzling you can only stand to be doing it for about ten minutes before you have to warm your hands.
Before you head topside you must have a clear picture in your mind what needs to be done to stabilize the boat quickly, and many times several things must be done, and you might have to pull off to warm your hands up.

On day 60 we have yet encountered another deep low and find ourselves sailing along in gale force conditions. The winds are 30-35kts gusting 40+kts.
The winds at first are from the north and these last about 12hrs, then suddenly we sail into the center of the low and the winds drop to zero.

This is the worst case scenario, as now you are bobbing around like a cork and sails are slamming and popping on the boom. I’m torn as to what to do as if I drop the sail down the rolling will be much worse if I leave it up there could be damage.
I make a cup of coco and try to drink it while my stomach is tied in knots over what to do. I go top sides grabbing for whatever will keep me in the cockpit, and it’s dark and I try to get a read on what the wind will do next. I decide at last to jibe as it appears the wind is just starting to fill slightly from the south about 180* from where it had been coming from. Soon I read two knots of speed on the G.P.S. and we are starting to move once again and the main boom has settled down some. The next 10-minutes see’s the wind increase to about 15kts. I roll out a small portion of the Genoa on the furler getting our speed up over 5-kts.

I go below where I had been sleeping before all the slamming and banging had started, and crawl back into my berth hugging my Tequila bottle with hot water in it, trying to warm up.
Soon I’m asleep, and stay that way for about an hour, but I awake to the sound of water rushing by the hull and the boat is forced hard over on her side. I climb out of my berth and look at the G.P.S. speed, and see we are doing from 8-10kts way to fast if you want to keep your rig in one piece.
This is the fun part as the winds are over 30kts once again I cannot get outside to do anything until I have all my foul weather gear on and safety harness. It’s the fire drill and it’s time to go full on.
After a very long 5 minutes I kind of stumble and dive out into the cockpit grabbing for the sheet line to the Genoa that must be released and that vulnerable sail furled up. This takes a couple of minutes then I slack the main to further reduce strain on the rig. The next thing I do is adjust the wind-vane to steer more downwind on a reach running away from the powerful winds.
Once back below decks it takes a few minutes to get the adrenalin turned off, and once again hop back in my bunk with the “Tequila” bottle.

The problem with the gale conditions is that you always must put all your foul weather gear on before going outside, I mean you can’t go out for one minute without it for fear you will be drenched by a breaking wave, and all your warm weather gear washed down with salt water. Once the salt water gets it, the stuff will never dry, until washed and then it will take days to dry.

Just trying to stay upright and dry, Sailing Along in The South Atlantic, the Jefe’