Sailors Run sailing along

Sailors Run sailing along

Day 175. 24hr.Run=139nm. Pos.Lat.33*00S. Long.106*33’W. Weather=Wind=N 20-30+kts. Seas=N 8-15Ft. Cabin Temp=72*-74*. Bar=998mb

Day-176. 24hr.Run=153nm. Pos. Lat.31*32’S. Long.104*53′ Weather=Wind=NW 12-30kts. Seas=NW. 8-12ft. Cabin Temp=71*-75*. Bar=1001mb

Day-177. 24hr.Run=85nm. Pos. Lat.30*45’S. Long.103*54’W. Weather=Wind=5-15kts.NW. Seas =6-10ft. SW-NW. Cabin Temp=71*75*. Bar=1004mb

Total Miles Sailed so Far=22,467nm.

Miles sailed last three days=377nm.

Miles left to go to finish=2,243nm.

Top speed so far=14.1kts.


Once again “Sailors Run” is put to the test, pounding hard to weather in very rough seas under reefed mizzen, stay sail and tiny bit of “Patches”.

The SW swell at 10-feet colliding with the wind waves that are up to 15ft. from the N. causes us to “Bang and Crash” forward somehow towards our destination.
I’m hoping to pick up the SE trades in about 3-days and leave the worst weather behind us in our wake.
We are still sailing on into uncertainty as yet there is no word back from Tripp Martin at the Marina, whether or not the channel in to Bahia is open.
Debbie is doing all she can to get this info. She has heard the channel has moved, but not if it is still navigable.

Today the sailing is great, and the winds are down a little, as well as the seas.

I’m down to my last big chocolate bar and they will be greatly missed, however I have a big bag of chocolate chips that will pick up some of the slack in the “sack” department. I believe I only have 5-more “Top Ramon” breakfasts, before I go to pancakes every day. Dinners seem to be holding out for now.

I should mention that Electronic Latitude 38 for April had a nice article on the “Circumnavigation”, check it out on line.

I awoke about 5 am to screeching winds as a very powerful squall was upon us in the 50-knot range and the reefed main needed to come down.
I struggled to get clear of my berth on the low side as Sailors Run was pinned down hard on her side.

It seemed like forever to get the foulies and boots on before clamoring on deck. I clipped in and inched forward with spray and waves crashing about.

Once at the mast I grabbed the halyard to the main and let it fly, and hauled the sail down while clinging to the mast, in the wild conditions that were trying to pitch me off the boat.
It wasn’t until early the next morning that I discovered the strap that holds the double main sheet block had popped one of the 5/16″ rivets off, separating it from one of the two 4-wheel slides that run on the main sheet track. I made a temporary fix with a small bolt reattaching the strap. I believe this should hold till I get in.

After that big squall the winds died to where we were eventually becalmed for 4-hours, and we rocked and rolled in the cross swells, forcing me to reduce sail, thereby reducing the flogging. Eventually the winds slowly filled in and we were off once again “homeward bound”.
I got really great news in on the sail mail.


The email was from Tripp Martin congratulating me on the circumnavigation, and to let me know that they are waiting for my arrival in Bahia and that “YES” not only is the channel open but appears to be one meter deeper.

Tripp is doing all he can to take care of the cruisers and he expects power to be back on at Puerto Amistad in the next couple of days as well as the internet service.
Now I have to tell you I breathed a “huge sigh” of relief upon hearing that news.
Trying to keep it all together the “Jefe”.